Soap&Skin

If you’re not at Alessi’s Ark on Thursday I would recommend heading over to Bush Hall to catch Soap & Skin because this is just a bit too beautiful.

Anja Franziska Plaschg (yes I had to copy and paste her name) is 18 and from Austria. Her music is very lovely, listen to some more here. Her record¬†Lovetune for Vacuum¬†came out this year. Next time she’s here I’d very much like to go watch her play.

6 Responses to Soap&Skin

1. girl March 31, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

you didn’t go? I had forgotten that she was going to London as well. the concert here was a big mess, she is hyper-over-hyped, but the music is gorgeous.

2. anikainlondon March 31, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

No I already had a ticket for Alessi’s Ark before I considered going to this. That’s a shame, she’s not that over hyped over here yet…

3. Paulo April 1, 2009 at 7:06 am #

I may go to this gig, as I’m curious/it’s relatively close. Haven’t fully made up my mind about her though, but possibly intriguing.

4. anikainlondon April 1, 2009 at 7:20 am #

you should go an report back to me!

5. Paulo April 3, 2009 at 6:56 am #

I did go, and you possibly made a mistake in not going.

I got there at about half eight, and the Bush Hall had oodles of chairs lined up like a cinema stylee (150 or so chairs), and so i got one near the back, but on the central isle, so that I could have a better view of the piano.

The support act was someone called Ultre, who was just a chap doing a mix or something on his laptop. It seemed like nice enough sounds.

Then the little dinky Soap&Skin girl came on afterwards, and played a very lovely piano instrumental (the piano was set up at the front, before the stage, which is where she was for most of the gig), which was impressive sounding. She also had her laptop as backing for some of the songs, which just added to the momentous fuller sounds of some of the songs. Her voice still seems a little bit deep/foreign (?) to me, but I grew to it more as it went on, and can see myself loving it more and more. Definitely an impressive singer anyhow.
    Then, maybe just after halfway through the gig, she got up from her piano and the lights went off, and then some psychopathic/scary kind of music started playing from her laptop. As she was dressed in dark colours (either black, or maybe a hint of dark red or something), you could only just see her walking about at the front, stopping and staring and waving her arms about a bit. The lights came on then, but only slightly, and a menacing red colour. she then walked down the middle aisle/stopping and staring, and generally looking like a scary possessed girl from some little Japanese horror movie or other. Then after that she went back to the piano to play along to the menacing music. Was really cool anyway, especially as she hadn’t really interacted with the audience beforehand/seemed shy and focussed on the songs.
    There was another song where she played a backing track, and went up and stood on the stage to sing, and wave her arms about a bit again.

Anyway. It was a great gig. Big applause for ages after she finished, as they had left the lights down low/didn’t turn them back up. But after about five minutes (it seemed) of relentless clapping, she unfortunately didn’t come out for an encore. Which was a shame, but a perfectly formed gig still.

I had downloaded her ep from emusic a couple of days ago, but I’m more looking forward to the album. I may go and pre-order it now.

6. alicetragedy April 7, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

@paulo: she did exactly the same thing here – I guess that was when she sang “Spiracle”. it was absolutely freaky.
    @annika: At the show I saw of her we weren’t allowed to bring coats nor bags (let alone cameras) and it was absolutely packed. but anyway she plays a lot with that Tim Burton corpse bride image which annoys me a little, it’s still impressive to see someone play the piano in such a lovely way, especially considering she is so young. Her voice is beautiful too, it doesn’t lose any of its strength or hypnotic power live. quite the opposite actually. the only very big thing that disappointed me was that the sound of her laptop effects was way too loud, and that she almost never played without it/them – so no impro at all. you DID miss something, though.
    maybe I shouldn’t have said that ;)