New Music and Earphones week

After the exclusive Wildbirds listening of the last 2 weeks I’m trying to listen to lots of new albums this week. Also, I need some new earphones. Recommendations are appreciated for either, you can comment or email me. Above is a completely irrelevant picture of some blossom that’s in my garden at home. Spring is the greatest season.

19 Responses to New Music and Earphones week

1. Andy April 14, 2009 at 9:17 am #

avoid sony in-ear bud type ones ( well, the £20 ‘ers I bought…); they sound bloody good for the money, but only if precisely located, otherwise too much/little bass & other cobblers. Maybe I got funny shaped ears, but tried three diff sized thingys & one minute the sound’s fine, next it’s unsettlingly off.

2. Chongy April 14, 2009 at 9:26 am #

How much are you willing to spend?

3. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 9:34 am #

Andy, mine were Sony earbuds! They lasted 4 months. I won’t be getting them again.

Chongy, I don’t know… probably only £20-£30.

4. Chongy April 14, 2009 at 9:44 am #

If you want in ear, the Sennheiser CX300s are good, although depending on how well you treat them they may not last long. Their sound isn’t too bad, the bass is a bit muddy but there is plenty of it, and because it is a ‘canalphone’ (in your ear canals) it isolates a reasonable amount of noise, probably around 15dB, especially useful if you travel on public transport. You can also get the Creative EP630s, which look very similar to the Sennheisers but are cheaper.

If you want a headphone which sits on your ears, I suggest the Sennheiser PX100s, which are excellent value for money at around ~£20 but are regarded as being better than headphones which are up to £100, and I’m listening to a pair at the moment and I can see why. They sound great, and also very compact (they fold up neatly). These are ‘open’ headphones, so you can hear other people around you (you may want that or not). If you want them ‘closed’ (isolated from the outside world), there is a more expensive version called the PX200 which should still fit your budget.

Around your budget, Sennheiser’s offerings tend to be very good value for money, but be warned – there are lots of fakes being produced, so avoid ebay or amazon marketplace offers. Only buy from the seller themselves (I bought mine from Amazon FYI).

5. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 9:52 am #

Thanks for that! I will try and seek out some earphones today, I can’t go long without any. Probably go to a shop so I can get them immediately.

6. Chongy April 14, 2009 at 10:01 am #

No problem, enjoy the music!

And talking about that…

I don’t know how much you’ll like the sound, but I’m really liking Passion Pit’s EP – ‘Chunk of Change’. Give it a try!

7. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 10:06 am #

Thanks Chongy :) I actually saw Passion Pit do an instore gig a few weeks ago, they were alot of fun!

8. Chongy April 14, 2009 at 10:14 am #

Ahh, you lucky bugger! Gems are definitely ‘Better Things’ and ‘Sleepyhead’, the last 2 tracks on the EP. Their studio album is coming out in about a month, hopefully won’t disappoint.

Another recommendation might be ‘The Pains of Being Pure at Heart’ by the band of the same name – I’ve only given it one listen, but I thought even then it was pretty good.

9. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 10:18 am #

I have actually put off listening to them purely because I hate their band name, I even opted out on an instore because of it! But people keep telling me they’re good, and they have another instore next month so I will make a point of catching them.

10. Chongy April 14, 2009 at 10:26 am #

Please take some pics (as if you won’t!), would be nice to see (I would go to the instore but exams exams exams :[ ).

11. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 10:35 am #

I’m sure they’ll be back soon and you can see them then! And of course I’ll take some snaps! :D

12. Chongy April 14, 2009 at 10:37 am #

Wahey!

Do you know the worst thing?

Last exam, 11th of June. Do you know when their last London date is? 10th of June.

Boooooooo :(

13. Adam April 14, 2009 at 10:40 am #

The new Dirty Projectors is REALLY good, as is the new Starfucker album.

14. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 10:43 am #

Chongy, you should just go anyway!

Adam, would I like the new Dirty Projectors? I think I’ll listen anyway. I also am compelled to listen to the Department of Eagles album based on the song on your mix, even though I know it’ll annoy me that I missed them. I also listened to The Knife album… some of the songs are a bit weird…

15. Adam April 14, 2009 at 11:10 am #

I’d give DP a shot, the vocals are definitely an acquired taste though. Think you’d quite like Track 4 (forget what it’s called.) And yes, listen to Department of Eagles!

16. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 11:28 am #

WOW I like how you are able to accurately forecast what tracks I’ll like. I’m listening now, I was like WOW this is a good one, I looked and it was track 4. You are wise!

17. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Also, track 5 is AWESOME too.

18. Adam April 14, 2009 at 11:41 am #

Glad you like it! I’ve seen DP three times and although very hard-going at points, they can also be f’in marvellous- never liked their recorded stuff before ‘Bitte Orce’ though. I know loads of people who absolutely LOATHE them- I remember seeing them support Beirut in 2007 and me and my pal thinking they were fantastic and Fiona and another pal thinking they were utterly awful.

19. anikainlondon April 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

I feel a bit sad I missed them the other week… I think was at The Troubadour for Alessi so nevermind.

I’m gonna listen to Harlem Shakes now! New music week has been successful thus far.