Au Revoir Simone this week

Yay, yay, yay. The thing I am most excited about this week is seeing Au Revoir Simone. Their new record is brilliant and they’re still in my top 10 live acts of the year. Here is a sweet video where they talk about the album and some other things:

They’re playing Tuesday at Pure Groove and Saturday at (the loathed) Proud Galleries. If you head to The Line Of Best Fit you can read a little piece by Bella Union boss Simon Raymonde about why Proud Galleries is a terrible venue. Tickets are £10 on the door, and it says on the site that the event is 7.30 to 2.30am. But, if it’s like how it was last time I was there on a Saturday, the first band won’t be on until 10. Venue dislike aside, I can’t wait to see Au Revoir Simone again. Also, in the autumn they’re playing a show in the beautiful Union Chapel with one of my most most most favourites, Alessi. Yip!

, , , ,

8 Responses to Au Revoir Simone this week

1. Alex July 19, 2009 at 7:06 pm #

It hurts when you work 100 hour weeks and discover people “loathe” you. That is a strong word I reserve for people who are bigots or hurt animals etc. I read Simon’s article. As far as I could work out he arrived at 10.30 on a Saturday when we were at capcity. He was whisked from the long public Queue to gues list queue to VIP queue and got in despite the fact we were at capacity. It took around 10 minutes. It seems odd to complain of this? So he doesnt like loud music or the kind of music played? There was a room next door playing Motown? There is an outside smoking area that holds 300 and seats most of them with an outside bar so you dont need to be inside. The stables are full of people chatting. His cynical remark about the “Gallery”. Its a gallery during the day. And the sound engineer has toured with eveyrone from the Stones to PEte Doherty but now has kids which is why we are lucky enough to have him. He is one of the best in London…. to Simon standing in the main fire exit. I cant help that the Fire dept close us down if people stand there?! So this is why he and you “Loathe” proud?! the fact we put on 1000 bands a year and charge pub prices? that we try to be polite on the door and attract many sorts of people or that we care about music and people having fun…. that means nothing to you… you “Loathe” us? I am sorry and feel sad that all that work ends with this!
    Alex

• anikainlondon July 19, 2009 at 11:13 pm #

Hi Alex, I’m sorry to have maybe upset you, but I think perhaps you are taking it too personally. I felt that the place was more suited to a club and felt much more like a bar than a music venue. I agreed completely with Simon’s comments about the music being way too loud and obnoxious, and people shuffling in and out of the room. I appreciate that you care for your venue and put alot of hard work in to it, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I’m yet to meet anyone who has said they liked Proud Galleries as a music venue. For Au Revoir Simone I can’t help but feel venues like the charming Bush Hall or The Luminaire would suit them so much better.

2. Gag Halfrunt July 26, 2009 at 9:37 pm #

I’m a new Au Revoir Simone fan – I first heard about them from a review in the Guardian in May. I went to their in-store at Pure Groove and managed to progress from outside the door to the back of the audience. :)

Anyway, I went to see them at Proud Galleries last night and I have to agree that it’s not a suitable venue for Au Revoir Simone. The volume was too high for their style of music, and the DJs played what amounted to glorified background music – mostly unmemorable club/lounge tracks – at the same deafening level. (I haven’t been able to find Simon Raymonde’s comments at The Line of Best Fit.)

You were right about the timetable, which wasn’t revealed until just before the doors opened. The first band, Those Dancing Days, were on from 10:00 to 10:30, and Au Revoir Simone had 11:00 to 11:45. (If I’d known in advance they’d be on so late, I might well not have gone at all.)

As unfortunately seems to happen often with Au Revoir Simone, there were sound problems which made it difficult to hear their performance properly. The drum machines drowned out the vocals, and there was conspicuous white noise coming from somewhere. On the non-technical side, some people in the audience loved Au Revoir Simone so much that they just had to scream and whoop whenever the members were talking, making it impossible to hear what they were saying. I also got the feeling that some people in the audience were chatting to each other throughout the set.

As soon as Au Revoir Simone finished, the DJ immediately started started playing very loud club music, which struck me as rather rude since they’d announced that they would be selling CDs after their set. People had to shout just to buy things or say hi to the band. (I’d bought Still Night, Still Light at Pure Groove and got it signed, and they remembered me, which was cool.)

• anikainlondon July 26, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Hey Gag,

Thanks so much for updating me with details of this show! I didn’t go in the end, I figured it would end late and the Met line was part closed which would have made my trip back impossible. Such a shame they didn’t get to play in a venue they deserve. Next time, next time :)

3. Alex July 27, 2009 at 10:00 am #

Guys! This IS rock n roll.. not the Royal Albert Hall! Gigs are loud and people dance and shout… if you dont like that then stay at home and listen to the CD? The band told us the best gig they have done in years. They were over the moon. The band were around out back where it was quiet for ages. Of course we cant turn the music off for 3 or 4 people when 800 people want to dance!? This is a venue, not a book shop or meet and greet. Why was the dance floor full if the music was bad? What did you want to hear?! Why not go next door to the Motown room if you dont like Club music? Or outside where no music? On our website and on BE website we had the stage times and they were pinend up around the venue and the front door staff told all who asked. I take comments seriously, but this seems pointless.

• anikainlondon July 27, 2009 at 2:43 pm #

Alex! I know it’s not Royal Albert Hall music :) (Though I’m sure they’d be lovely there). I love Au Revoir Simone, I know their music well, and I know that Au Revoir Simone are NOT rock and roll. Have you ever listened to them?!? I saw them at Bush Hall in May, now THAT was a great venue to see them. The beautiful surrounding suited their beautiful, sweet songs perfectly. The reason the dancefloor was full at Proud is because there were probably a ton of people there to club, not see Au Revoir Simone. I understand it’s your venue and you’re clearly sensitive about it, but in my humble opinion, Proud is clearly a great club, NOT a music venue. I’ve had the pleasure of visiting most venues in London and I would rank Proud as one of my least favourites.

4. Alex July 27, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

I can only tell you what the band told us, this was the favourite gig they had done in years. “rock n roll” is a broad term, used to designate a certain style of fun or having fun. Most people do find the grade 2 listed 200 year old building we live in beautiful. Most people there until midnight were there to see the band. It seems extraordinary that a “club” would stage 1300 bands a year using a PA worth over £250 000. It is obvious you dont like Proud, indeed “loathe” it. But I simply point out the facts. Or that 300 000 people watched the 1300 bands that played over the last year. Anyhow, enough of wasting your time and good luck with enjoying the music. Best Regards
    Alex

• anikainlondon July 27, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

If you knew anything about the band you would know that they are sweethearts and they’re hardly going to tell you the venue was poor. If it truly was the best show EVER, I’m sure it was down to them, their gorgeous songs, and the sweet fans… nothing to do with Proud. I know I will enjoy catching them in the fall at the beautiful Union Chapel. Good luck indeed.